Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Day 7- Not getting easier, but making it through!

So, as you can tell from the title of this- it's not getting any easier to not drink coke. However, I have maintained control and made it through. Honestly, I actually kind of welcome the challenge now, as I lean more and more on God to get me through the thick of it. And really, isn't that what it's all about? The cravings/temptations will never leave us on this earth, but when we ask Him to see us through and remove it from our mind and hearts, we are able to move past it. It may come up again, and new temptations and obstacles are ever present, but He is stronger than all of it, and through Him, so are we. So many people have commented "Oh, I didn't know you were Catholic," in reference to the fact that I am observing Lent (in my own ways), but I'm not, and never have been. Again, I see it as just another opportunity to really make myself consciously dependent on God so that in those moments when I don't take the time to think about leaning on Him, I still do. I've started a new "habit" of making smoothies every night after the kids go to bed for Kevin and me to share. We've tried a couple of different combinations so far, and I make enough to send with him in the mornings to work. It's fun, and quality time the two of us get to spend together deciding what concoction to put together for the evening. I've also used this opportunity to open my children's eyes (and stomachs) to more a more healthy way of eating, as we have enjoyed lunch at Panera, Jason's Deli, and Souper Salad in the past week. Souper Salad was a HUGE success and it felt good knowing I was giving them the opportunity to make healthy choices for themselves even at such young ages. Kevin has remarked more than once in the past few days about how his energy level has increased at work through the day, and I have to admit my own energy level has seen benefits, as well.
Of course, I have some selfish reasons for sacrificing the unhealthy foods in my life, and I can honestly say that I already feel like I'm beginning to lose some weight and trim down. So, given the progress in just one week, I wonder how great I'll feel in 33 more days?!

On another note, Owen said the sweetest thing today. Lately he has really been talking a lot about God and Jesus and Heaven, and I just love to get to talk to him about these things. He's so honest and sincere when he asks and talks about it all. So today, as we were heading up to my foot doctor, Owen told me he wanted two brothers. I asked him if he wanted mommy to have two brothers or if he would mind if we got his brothers from another place in the world, brothers that don't have a mommy and daddy (we've always wanted to adopt, and it's become a more relevant topic in the past few months). Confused, Owen looked up at me and said, "Well Mommy, we would get them from God, of course."
Of course Owen, we will get them from God- no matter what journey we take to reach them, God will bring them to us. Oh, how blessed we are with such a tender, sweet soul to nurture. "Do not let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith, and in purity." (1 Timothy 4:12)
Sweet boy, I pray your heart will only grow in love for your wonderful Jesus. Thank you God, for the wonderful gifts these children are to us. We pray we will be a blessing to them, as much as they are to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment